Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
OER Sites for Educators
"The Applied Math and Science Education Repository is a portal of OER (Open Educational Resources) built specifically for those in Community and Technical colleges, but is free for anyone to use."
Blended Learning Toolkit
"An OER for building your own online curriculum. Download one of its ample courses and you get a set of web templates you can load onto your own server and use as the basis for an online course."
College Open Textbooks
"This site lists open textbooks organized by subject area, many of which have been peer-reviewed for their suitability at community colleges."
Cool 4 Ed
California Open Online Library for Education.
Office of Digital Humanities--National Endowment for the Humanities
Digital Public Library--DPLA
Digital Public Library of America
DOAJ -- Directory of Open Access Journals
". . . indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals."
EDUCAUSE: 7 Things You Should Know about OERs
7 things you should know about Open Educational Resources from EDUCAUSE. Click on Download PDF.
EDUCAUSE: Open Educational Resources (OER)--Links
Website with links to OER resources from EDUCAUSE.
"Pegged as the 'largest library of free, online practice questions in the world,' this Kaplan division teamed up with OpenStax to create questions sets specifically for its open textbooks."
Hubs for Chemistry, Biology, Geosciences, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Social Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Agriculture, Photo-sciences, Humanities.
"The California State University System's collection of slightly more than 45,000 resources is rated, peer-reviewed and tallied by how many 'personal collections' each resides in. It lists more than 3,000 open textbooks, some of which have accessibility information for students with disabilities." Please note: You can limit searches in MERLOT by using "keywords related to your specific courses"--such as 'Counseling.'
MIT Open Courseware Online Textbooks
"MIT's library of online textbooks is one of the few sources for OER on aeronautics, civil engineering and material science, among many other disciplines."
Directory of Open Access Repositories.
Open Education Consortium
"The Open Education Consortium is a community of 240-plus schools as well as organizations and people who want to advance the idea of 'open education.' It features an OER resource toolkit, webinars, in-person events, and links to open textbooks."
"The basics are here: College Physics, Biology, Introductory Statistics, along with 6 other textbooks and more on the way."
Open Textbook Library
See "Education" under "Browse Subjects." Free, openly-licensed textbooks.
"The Open Textbook Library is supported by the Center for Open Education and the Open Textbook Network."
OpenText Book Store
"This site offers a catalog of OER Textbooks focusing on math."
" . . . older works for which copyright has expired."
Guidelines for Open Educational Resources (OER) in Higher Education. Download the English PDF.
VitalSource provides digital content. Browse Subject "Education." Results: Over 31,000 e-textbooks.
Education Textbook by Course Topics (ACRL/EBSS Open Education Resources for Teacher Education)
International Education Topics
The following are links to selected organizations focused on 'open' education & training technologies and solutions:
- Academic Earth - Founded with the goal of giving everyone on earth access to a world-class education.
- Alliance for Higher Education Competitiveness - Looking into innovative and open solutions and developing and disseminating actionable best practices through collaborative, ongoing research.
- Association for the Advancement of Computers in Education - An international, not-for-profit, educational organization with the mission of advancing Information Technology in Education and E-Learning
- Classroom 2.0 - A social networking organization and web site focused on the growing community of educators interested in learning how to better use collaborative information technologies and solutions.
- CodeAcademy - Providing free online courses to millions around the world on how to write computer code.
- Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources - Over 200 community colleges partnering to develop and use open educational resources, especially open textbooks for college courses.
- Consortium for School Networking - Empowering K-12 school districts and their technology leaders to use new education technologies and tools strategically to improve teaching and learning.
- Connexions - A virtual environment for collaboratively developing, freely sharing, and rapidly publishing scholarly content on the Web.
- Creative Commons - Helping people to share knowledge, research, and educational materials with others around the world. Videos
- Coursera - Offering offer high quality courses from the top universities, for free to everyone across the globe.
- Electronic Information For Libraries (EIFL) - A global network of national library consortia advocating open access to knowledge for education & research purposes.
- Free Software Foundation (FSF) - Providing links to a range of open source education software applications and projects.
- Genspace - A non-profit community based education & research organization providing a collaborative, open source approach to developing new ideas in biotech.
- Humanitarian FOSS (HFOSS) - Providing support to instructors who are involving students in Humanitarian Free & Open Source Software projects.
- Khan Academy - A non-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education to anyone anywhere.
- Kuali Foundation - A community of universities, colleges, businesses, and other organizations that have partnered to build and sustain open-source administrative software for higher education, by higher education.
- Linux Professional Institute - Advocating, training, & certifying individuals in the professional use of Linux and Free/Open Source Software (FOSS).
- MERLOT - A free and open online community of resources designed primarily for faculty, staff and students of higher education from around the world.
- Moodle Community - Working to give educators the best tools to manage and promote learning.
- National Center for Open Source & Education - Championing the use of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) in K-12 schools.
- One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) - Providing low cost hardware, content and software for collaborative, joyful, and self-empowered learning.
- OpenCourseWare Consortium - A collaboration of higher education institutions and associated organizations from around the world creating a broad and deep body of open educational content using a shared model.
- Open Educational Resources (OER) Commons - Providing access to a wide range of teaching and learning materials that may be freely used and shared - for elementary schools, high schools, and universities.
- Open Learning Exchange (OLE) - Developing a world-wide network of public-private grassroots organizations committed to providing universal basic education in nations where the need exists.
- Open Source Education Foundation - Seeking to enhance k-12 education through the use of technologies and concepts derived from the Free and Open Source Software movement.
- Open Education Consortium - A worldwide community of higher education institutions and associated organizations committed to advancing open education.
- Open Education Europa - European Union (EU) portal to open education resources (OER).
- Sakai Foundation - A non-profit corporation engaged in the collaborative design, development and distribution of open-source software for education, research and related scholarly activities.
- Scholarly Publishing & Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) - Supporting new communication models that expand the dissemination of scholarly research and reduce financial pressures on libraries.
- Second Life Education Community Portal - A collaborative community of educators building and sharing cutting edge virtual reality learning environments, tools, and programs of the future.
- Teaching Open Source - This organization serves as a neutral collaboration point for everyone involved in teaching about 'open source'.
- UNESCO Open Educational Resources - A UNESCO sponsored community of interest focused on the use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in higher education.
- U.S. Department of Education - Online resources of interest to students, teachers, parents, administrators, and more.
- WikiEducator and Open Education Resources (OER) Foundation - A collaborative community working on free content for e-Learning and various other projects building open education resources.
- ZUNIA Knowledge Exchange - Providing links to thousands of 'open' education and training resources around the world.
- 20 Million Minds Foundation (20MM) - Supporting the creation, sharing, and proliferation of more effective and affordable educational content by leveraging disruptive technologies & open educational resources.
* Links taken from COSI "Open" Education (Collaboration, Open Solutions, and Innovation)
- Contact the Library
- 700 Park Avenue
- Norfolk, VA 23504
- Phone: (757) 823-2418
- Email: Library@nsu.edu