Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What Students Will Learn in a Library Instruction Session
- How to define a research topic/question
- How to develop search keywords and broaden or narrow a search
- How to use the Library catalog and online databases
- How to evaluate the quality of sources found, including websites
- How to read a scholarly article and use citations
- How to find different kinds of information, including primary and secondary sources
- Differences between library databases and the "free web" or Google
- The proper way to cite sources using the appropriate style
Feel free to email us about your class' specific research and information needs, so we can tailor our library instruction sessions accordingly.
To request a session, use our online library instruction request form found the library's webpage.
Logging in Off-Campus
Logging into Library Databases
Our databases are listed at http://libguides.nsu.edu/az.php.
When you choose a database from that A-Z list, it should direct you to an OpenAthens login.
Once you are on the OpenAthens login page, enter your NSU username (everything to the left of the @ in your email address) and your NSU password. This will provide you access to all of our databases as long as your browser is open. In other words, once you have logged in, you can switch from one database to another without having to log into OpenAthens again.
Many patrons start their academic research at Academic Search Complete.
It is the second database listed at http://libguides.nsu.edu/az.php.
You can also access OpenAthens directly by going to https://login.openathens.net/auth/nsu.edu/o/71385022 and logging in with your NSU username and password. Once you are there, click on the "Login to MyAthens" and you will get an interactive list of everything we are subscribed to. EBSCO Information Services is quite popular with our patrons, as well as the video streaming service called Kanopy, but all of our digital subscriptions are accessible from https://my.openathens.net/my once you have logged in.
- Contact the Library
- 700 Park Avenue
- Norfolk, VA 23504
- Phone: (757) 823-2418
- Email: Library@nsu.edu