Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Types of Periodicals (Journals or Magazines)
Periodicals, i.e., journals and magazines are typically categorized into three types:
- Written by experts, researchers, scholars (credentials are included with the article)
- Published by educational institutions, professional organizations
- Articles are text-based, few to no graphics (except for graphs/charts)
- Extensive references
Examples: Journal of Psychology & Christianity, Strength and Conditioning Journal
- Written by professionals in a given field, for professionals in a given field (credentials may/may not be included)
- Articles are application of, commentary on the research
- Articles may or may not have been reviewed prior to publishling
- Published by professional/trade organizations, or publishers known to publish subject-specific content
- Articles may/may not include references are available
- Publications include graphics, job openings, and product advertisements relative to profession/trade
Example: American Cinematographer; Nursing Management
- Articles written by freelance writers (credentials usually not included)
- Publications are glossy, attention-grabbing, filled with graphics and advertisements
- Publications focus on a variety of interests according to sex, entertainment, hobbies, news, and other special interests
- Examples: Bride; Fortune; Men's Fitness; Sunset, People
Is it Scholarly?
When trying to determine if an article would be considered "scholarly," look at the following characteristics:
Peer Reviewed articles are articles written by experts in the field.
Magazines vs Journals. A magazine is a periodical aimed at the general public, which contains news, opinion and personal narratives. Journals are scholarly periodicals aimed at researchers or specialists.
- Contact the Library
- 700 Park Avenue
- Norfolk, VA 23504
- Phone: (757) 823-2418
- Email: Library@nsu.edu